- About-Few line that introduce the Organization:
- Shiv Kumar Shastri College of Agriculture and Research Station is the Educational and Research institute. It is the sub campus/ constituent college of Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Raipur(C.G.) which is located at Village- Surgi of Rajnandgaon district in Chhattisgarh State.
- History- Few lines about Organization History:
- Shiv Kumar Shastri (SKS) College of Agriculture and Research Station, Rajnandgaon was established on 3rd August 2013 as a constituent college of Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Raipur (C.G.). The college was situated in centre of the city near international hockey stadium and about 4 km away from railway station, Rajnandgaon.Nowthe college has been shifted on the dated 8th September, 2020at village-Surgi of Rajnandgaon District which is about15km away from Railway station, Rajnandgaon(C.G.) The college is facilitated with greenery around, Nearby Krishi Vigyan Kendra Rajnandgaon.
Chhattisgarh is a tribal dominated state with approximately 2.55 Crore population. Rajnandgaon district comes under Chhattisgarh plains region of the state in which more than 26 percent population are scheduled tribe.Rajnandgaon district having approximately 15,37000 population. As this region is socio-economically a backward area so just to uplift the level of higher education and for the empowerments and awareness of the agricultural practices and technologies the leader of the region concepted to open a agriculture college. Agriculture College, Rajnandgaon follows a holistic approach for the development of the agriculture by integrating teaching, research and extension activities and assumes specific responsibility for improvement of rural life in totality. The college is dedicated to educate and train the students in agriculture in order to enable them to achieve perceptible value addition to their technical knowledge, skills and positive attitude towards life along with enhanced employability at the time of passing out form the colleges. Admissions to undergraduate programme are made though Pre-Agriculture Test (PAT) conducted by “Madhyamic Shiksha Mandal” of the state Government. The total intake capacity is 75 students for the UG B.Sc. (Ag.) degree programme.
- Mission Few line about Organization Mission:
- To conduct education, research and extension activities for enhancing productivity, profitability and sustainability of agricultural production system and quality of rural livelihood in the Rajnandgaon district as well as Chhattisgarh state.
- Vision- Few line about Organization Vision:
- To serve as a centre of higher education and research in the field of agriculture and allied science.
- To disseminate technology to farmers, extension personnel and organizations engaged in agricultural development throughvarious extension programms.
- Dean Message:
- It is a matter of great pleasure to see with less than a decade time span an emerging institute is becoming a markable one with leading achievements in the areas of teaching, research,extension and other co-curricular activities of the staff and students, the college from the date of inception had been handling different state and national level projects viz SRLM, Farmers First Project and Experiential Learning scheme (Financed by ICAR New Delhi). Students opt NCC, NSS for their overall mandatory development, some salient achievements in the sports and cultural activities have also been obtained.
“In the light of these facts,I am very much confident that within short time this college will flourish and prove its worthiness in nurturing and developing sensible and competent students who will prove to be an ideal citizen of the nation. The farmers of the region will have a scientific look and approach in their farming practices.”
SKS College of Agriculture and Research Station,Rajnandgaon (C.G.) is offering B.Sc. (Ag) degree programme as per recommendations of Deans’ committees, hence eligible for ICAR accreditation.
Achievement of the Programme:
Seminar on “Sustainable Agriculture through Integrated Farming System Approach” created awareness and sensitised the participants towards sustainable development of agriculture.
The seminar was comprised presentation and discussion of emerging topics in sustainable agriculture for terrestrial crop and livestock production systems. Participants were learned how to evaluate the socio-ecological tradeoffs of diverse strategies including land sparing versus land sharing, payments for ecosystem services, application of agro-ecological principles, water use efficiency, crop switching, crop-livestock integration, crop insurance, early-warning systems, and genetic engineering.
The seminar provided students with the valuable opportunity to discuss the status, challenges, and achievements of sustainable agriculture and stimulate discussion on the practical aspects of converting to organic natural farming.
Activities under College Farm at Village – Surgi
College farm of Pt. Shiv Kumar Shastri College of Agriculture and Research Station, Rajnandgaon was established in 2014-15 at Village – Surgi (Rajnandgaon). This farm is about 17 km away from college campus at Rajnandgaon. Fencing and digging of bore well were completed at farm during 2014-15 but crop cultivation and plantation at farm was started on 2016. The soil of farm land is Entisol and due low availability of irrigation water in bore wells, the farm is not suitable for field crops, therefore converted as dry land horticulture farm. In view of this, near about 3000 fruits plants like mango, papaya pomegranate guava etc. and some ornamentals, live fencing plants and vegetables have been planted. Pulses like mungbean, urdbean and Vegetable crops like ladies finger, cluster bean, ash guard, pumpkin etc. have been cultivating as intercropping. Looking to scarcity of water in the tube wells (two) constructed in the farm, drip irrigation system is installed in the farm for irrigation to entire plantation. Water storage was created by constructing underground tank (18000 m3 capacity) that is being filled by time to time operation of two 1.5 hp submersible pumps installed in the tube wells to a depth of 450 feet.
- E-mail ID of the Institution:- email@example.com
- Address with pin code of the Institution: Shiv Kumar Shashtri College of Agriculture and Research Station,
Village and post –Surgi, Rajnandgaon-Gunderdehi Road
Police Station- Surgi
Pin code- 491441
Latitude 21.02857 Longitude: 81.10055
N 210 1’ 42.46133’’ E 8106’ 1.98569’’